Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Deserted Island Journal Challenge



Have not been on vacation in what seem like for ever.  About time I did some R and R and replenish by mind, my soul, my body.  Booked a Disney 7-night Caribbean Cruise.  Looking forward to this and cannot wait to get started.

The first night of the Cruise was awesome.  Slept like a baby.  The gentle rocking of the ship lulled me into a deep, deep sleep.  The next morning, I felt like a new person.  Sat down to breakfast and chit chatted with some of the passengers.  Everything was perfect.  After breakfast, I took a stroll around the ship, when suddenly, something did not feel quite right.

All of a sudden the waves began to crash against the ship.  The ship started to rock violently.  I ran to my room and grabbed by water proof backpack and life vest.  No time for anything else.  Ran back outside, hoping to get on one of the life boats, but to my astonishment, there were none left.  What to do!  What to do!  I held on for dear life.  What else could I do.

I must have blacked out, because when I came to, I was on the shore of an island.  A deserted island.  What happened to all the other passengers.  Where were they?  Can't worry about that now.  Need to get my bearings.  How long will I be here.  Will there be a rescue?  Does anyone know?  Already late in the day.  Can't worry about that now.  Need to fine shelter for the night.

Day 2:  Woke up hungry, but no food to be found.  I walked around the island a bit and luckily there was a stream with fresh water not too far from where I was.  Water tasted good and help curb the hunger.  Did not find any food, though.  I need to find something to do until I am rescue, and help take my mind off food.  I looked in my waterproof backpack and found some art supplies I brought along with me to do in my spare time.  Let's see.  What do I have.  Ah!  I have some glue.  A brown stamp pad and applicator, a sheet of scrapbook paper, coffee dyed paper, a needle and some sewing thread, rotary cutter and ruler, some old fabric with lace trim and a pencil.  With these items, I can make a journal and document my stay here on the island.


However, it has been a long day already and the sun is starting to set.  What a beautiful sight, especially the way the sun reflects off the ocean.

Day 3:  Started working on the journal.  I made the cover with the scrapbook paper and used the coffee dyed paper for my pages.  Pull some aside to use as embellishments.  With one of the papers I made a tag.  Folding it in half and gluing them together.  I took some of the fabric and stitched a piece onto the tag.  With another sheet I made a pocket, but first stitching on it before gluing the sides. 
 

With the left over scrapbook paper that I cut off I made a tag and use some more of the fabric, gluing it on the top for a pull.  Not too bad, considering I do not have the comforts of home.


Some of the pages were long enough to make a tri-fold with them.  I did this with several of the pages.


Since I had the needle and thread out and some of the fabric, I stitched it down to one of the pages.  


I had some fabric left over, so made a pocket and tucked it in for later use, should I need it.
I think I will stop for now.  Getting late and need a drink.  Don't want to be wondering off in the dark.


Day 4:  I awake to a beautiful morning.  The sun is out and the warmth feels good after being cold all night.  Did not sleep well.  Really, really hungry.  I will explore the island a bit more and see what I can find in the way of food.  Came across this plant.  Do not know what it is, but it had some berries in the pod and tried a few.  They were very, very tasty and helped with the hunger.  I wonder if there is anything like this back at the states.  More importantly, I hope they are not poisonous.


After some berries and a drink of water, I am feeling much better now.  I decide to work some more on the journal.  It will help pass the time.  Stitched on one of the pages and with the extra fabric stitched some to the side of one of the pages.  I am actually enjoying myself.  The peace and quiet and working on the journal is quite comforting.  I stop now and decide to explore the island some more before retiring for the night.  I look out at the ocean to see if I can see some signs of a ship, hoping to be rescued.


Day 5:  I am almost finished with the journal.  I take what is left of the coffee dyed paper and make a small booklet.  With the last piece of the scrapbook paper, I make a back pocket and with the last of the coffee dyed paper, I write a letter to my love ones, should this be found and not I.


I glue the booklet to the last page and tuck the letter into the back pocket.  It has been an experience, but one I shall never forget.  


Day 6:  Another beautiful morning, but now I am becoming disillusioned. Will I ever be found?  Is this where I am to spend the rest of my life?  I continue to explore the island.  There must be more.  There has to be more.  I drink from the stream and bring back with me the last of the berries I have found.  I continue to work on the journal and am finally finished.  I have written in it my experiences here on the island.  The beauty, the tragedy, but hopefully not the ending.  I am so tired.  I need to sleep.


Day 7:  I awake to a loud noise.  What is it?  What is that sound?  I finally come out of my sleep and realize it is a bull horn.  I am being told they are sending a boat out to rescue me.
I AM BEING RESCUED!  Not all is lost.

I will miss you, you wonderfully mysterious island.  Your beauty, your sunsets and wonderfully awesome mornings.  I must return home now.  I do not belong here.  This is your island and it all belongs to you.

2 comments:

  1. It loaded for me today, YAY!!! thank you so much, Deborah, this was just excellent. Simple doesn't have to be boring, you rocked it, lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nik. I have been so crazy busy lately, but wanted to participate, so I did what I could with what I had. Loved the challenge. Looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete