Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Paper Quilts

Crinkly Vestiges Paper Quilt


Well, it has taken me almost 1-1/2 years to finish this quilt, but I think it was worth it.

I took a workshop in Oceanside, CA with Helen Shafer Garcia almost 2 years ago 

We made paper quilts.  I do not remember the paper we used, but I do remember the process. It was messy, but fun.  That is probably the first and last time you'll see me use those two words in the same sentence.

We took our paper and crinkled it, then applied a wash of color on the paper.  With additional papers, we stamped, drew and painted images and sewed them onto the crinkled color paper. I guess you could say we made a patchwork quilt.  I was finished with this part before class was over, but for the edging of the quilt, I could not decide what to do.  We were given some Sari Ribbon to take home with us to finish the quilt.  Try as I might, I could not get it to work.  After many attempts trying to use the ribbon, I decided on a blanket stitch around the edge along with a running stitch.  This took me about a week to do, because I had to go slowly so I would not rip the paper and after about an hour of stitching, I became bored and had to go onto something else.  But, nevertheless, I finished it. YAY!!

Now, I am in the process of creating another paper quilt.  This time, Cathedral Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment