Friday, June 26, 2015

52-Weeks of Book Binding, Journals and more...

Week 26

"Steampunk Journal"


Here we are, already half way through the year.  
Wow!  It doesn't seem possible that half the year has already gone by.  
Where did it go?

A couple of weeks ago, I took a Steampunk Journal Class at the Stamp Addict in San Diego, CA and I loved it!  I love Steampunk and I love making journals, so making a steampunk journal was the perfect marriage.  Here is what we did:

The front of the cover was made by using a Dreamweaver Steampunk Stencil and texture paste.  Then we sprayed it with Color Bloom Ink Sprays and used the Inka Golds and Silvers.  Die cut cogs and wheels were added for embellishments.  


While our cover was drying, we played with a variety of textured pastes, stencils and sprays.  Here are a few of the pages we created:



This one is my favorite.  We were playing with crackle paste, and adding color.  I had some left over and used the paste over a stencil.  It's hard to see, but when the paste dried, the circles ended up looking like lily pads.

After I got home, I sprayed a few more pages to add to my journal:


The class was lots of fun and I learned a lot about the different textured paste, how you can use them, and how each one looks with and without color.

Here is the back of the book that we got to decorate as well.  I liked how the inks dripped, making it look like tree branches.

I've always wanted to start an art journal, but was intimidated by it.  I never knew where to start and examples I saw, just made it more confusing.  I realize now that it's not that hard.  You just have to let go and dive in.

No comments:

Post a Comment